Are you fascinated by the laid-back vibes and beachy aesthetics of California’s coastal homes? If you live in Japan and dream of transforming your apartment into a haven of Californian cool, then this guide is for you.
With a little help, planning, and creativity you can recreate the beautiful Californian beach look in your own home.
Get ready to immerse yourself in the world of textured layering, soothing ocean colors, upcycling, wicker wonders, and a variety of coastal decor ideas that will bring the sun, sand, and surf right into your home.
If you are looking for a new adventure in a new home, make sure to look at the listings available on the Village House website.
Layered Textures: Creating Depth and Warmth
One of the key elements of Californian coastal design is the use of layered textures that create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Embrace materials like jute, linen, wood, and cotton to achieve that perfect coastal look.
- Jute: Incorporate jute rugs, curtains, or wall hangings to add a natural and earthy touch to your living space.
- Linen: Dress up your sofas and beds with linen throws and cushions for a relaxed and beachy feel.
- Wood: Introduce wooden furniture such as coffee tables, bookshelves, and side tables to add warmth and rustic charm to your home.
- Cotton: Use cotton textiles for curtains, bedding, and tablecloths to infuse comfort and softness.
These materials are known as “earthy” materials, meaning they are all-natural. Avoid plastics and other manmade materials in your home if you are trying to achieve the Californian coastal look.
Ocean Colors: Calm and Serene Ambiance
Ocean colors are at the heart of California’s coastal design, evoking the tranquillity of the sea and the soothing sound of crashing waves.
Embrace hues like soft blues, aqua, seafoam green, sandy beige, and white to create a calming coastal ambiance.
- Walls: Paint an accent wall in soft blue or seafoam green to instantly transform the mood of your space. An “accent wall” means one wall in a room, this way you can bring color in without using too much of the color.
- Furniture: Bring in ocean-colored furniture pieces such as a sea-blue armchair or sandy beige sofa to capture the coastal essence.
- Decorative Accents: Use ocean-colored throw pillows, blankets, and curtains to infuse your home with coastal charm.
- Artwork: Hang ocean-inspired paintings or prints depicting waves, surfers, or seashells to complete the coastal vibe.
By incorporating these colors throughout your home, you will quickly be able to transform the space into a Californian coastal style.
Upcycling: Sustainable and Stylish
Embracing the spirit of California cool, upcycling plays a significant role in coastal interior design. Upcycling involves giving new life to old furniture and items, adding character and uniqueness to your home.
- Salvaged Furniture: Refurbish an old wooden table with a fresh coat of paint or repurpose a vintage suitcase into a stylish side table.
- Creative Storage: Convert old crates or pallets into bookshelves or shoe racks, combining practicality with creativity.
- Vintage Charm: Browse second-hand stores for unique pieces that you can upcycle into charming decor elements for your coastal abode.
A big factor in the Californian coastal aesthetic is sustainability. Keep your home natural, avoid plastics, and reuse and upcycle wherever you can.
Of course, another benefit of upcycling is also that it is very budget-friendly! Just like Village House’s apartments, with rent starting from as low as 20,000 yen!
Wicker Wonder: Natural Elegance
Wicker is a quintessential element of California coastal design, bringing in a touch of natural elegance and seaside charm.
- Wicker Baskets: Use wood or rattan wicker baskets as stylish storage solutions for your towels, throws, or magazines.
- Custom Creations: If budget allows, commission a local craft maker to design custom wicker furniture, adding a personal touch to your space.
- Indoor Bliss: Bring wicker chairs or loungers indoors, creating cozy corners for relaxation and reading, reminiscent of beachside retreats.
Coastal Decor: Embracing the Beachy Feel
Now, let’s delve into the coastal decor ideas that will truly transform your apartment into a beach-inspired haven.
- Floating Shelves: Install floating shelves and adorn them with beachy trinkets, driftwood, and small potted plants for a charming display.
- Seashells: Use seashells sparingly as decorative accents, placing them in glass jars or as delicate additions to your coastal vignettes.
- Neutral Ceramics: Opt for sandy beige or neutral ceramics for bowls, vases, and dishes, adding a touch of coastal simplicity.
- Ocean-Inspired Paintings: Hang artwork featuring coastal landscapes, sailboats, or surfers catching the waves for a delightful touch of sea life.
California Cool Coastal Interior Design
Embrace the California coastal interior design, and create a beachy paradise within the walls of your Japanese apartment.
With layered textures, ocean colors, upcycling, wicker wonders, and coastal decor, you’ll find yourself transported to the sun-kissed shores of California every time you step into your revamped space.
Enjoy the process, and have fun creating your little coastal sanctuary!